Friday, July 12, 2013

NE Ohio/N West Virginia/W Pennsylvania

We spent Wednesday morning driving from Columbus to northern West Virginia, where my mother's paternal aunt lives. She lives in my great-grandparents' house, a home I've visited a couple of times before in my life: once in 1996 on a family history trip with my grandparents and a couple of uncles and their families, and once in 2006 when my great-grandma passed away.

There had been much rain in the extended region since we arrived in Dayton, and I'm told there had been some even before that. My aunt's basement had already flooded by Wednesday morning. It let up enough for a few excursions, including a trip to Thompson Park, where the kids played in puddles and mud and we met a sweet cat who needed a home but wouldn't let us take him somewhere safe.

I visited my great-grandparents' graves as well as the local hot spot, the Homer Laughlin China factory, including my favorite part--the seconds warehouse. Due to our travels I was not able to take any of the beautiful (but heavy) dishes home with us.

During dinner the rain started up again, and we were concerned about possible tornado activity; however, upon seeing the weather radar we realized we were north of where the low pressure system met the high pressure system, and thankfully nothing progressed beyond some storming. By the time we finished our dinner, there was only rain falling.

The church where Hubs spoke Wednesday evening had lost their power during the storms, so that made for an interesting time. It's not an evening we'll soon forget. We left there and headed back to Ohio and stayed overnight just outside Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The next morning we were able to get a few shots of Brandywine Falls in full rushing mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment